Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Plums plums plums

Well- I think it's valid to say that  part of feeding yourself locally is that its going to have to include some foraging.   It's kind of fun hopping fences but don't take that to mean that you shouldn't ask permission when possible.  But hey- I say waste not want not- and I hate to pass up a fruit tree full of fruit that the rest of the world is ignoring.   Long story short- I hopped the fence at a seemingly abandoned property-(well- there is a realtor's sign up- so does that count?) 
The apple trees I found were pretty poor.  No water for ages, fruit full of bugs.  The decent looking ones I took a bite of but they had no flavor.   No love lost here on these neglected trees.  (One thing you can't do in NM is leave trees or non-native plants to fend for themselves for water- the desert is just waiting to take over again.)  I picked a few apples and pears but the prize was a lovely plum tree covered with succulent, ruby colored fruit.  I stuffed my face and filled my basket and hopped the fence to get back home.  (I could've just walked out the front gate but fence jumpin' is so much better.  Nothing like getting your pants hung up on a barbed wire fence for a good story. 'How'd your pants get ripped?' 'Oh. Just hoppin' a fence'. )
We've enjoyed eating a lot of the fresh fruit but I also covered a hot grill with plums to roast.  I brushed them with honey and some black pepper.  They're in my freezer now waiting for a lamb roast to accompany.   I read a good recipe for plum, ginger chutney. (shout out to 'Nice Buns'  Thanks!)   Guess what everyone is getting for Christmas?!
If I go picking again I'll be making plum jam next.   I'm not the most successful at jam making though.  I need a pectin-injectin' I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment