Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bernalillo Wine Festival

Monday September 6th.  Labor Day
Here's what I'm talking about! Lets go local.  (or loco- whatever the case may be...!)
The Bernalillo Wine Festival is an annual event in Bernalillo, NM.  This community just north of Albuquerque on the east side of the Rio Grande (for those of you who aren't 'in the know'!) showcases local vintners who are breaking their backs to coax quality wine out of the Land of Enchantment.   This past weekend the Festival featured tastings from over 20 vineyards situated in all corners of the state of NM.  There is actually a 400 year history of wine making in the Rio Grande Valley.    Who knew?!
  I hit the festival with my mom and dad (nothing quite like drinking wine and using a walker! -my dad gets kind of tired so we had this cool, rolling walker with a seat so he could take a break...But I digress...!)
Anyhow - we sampled delicious vintages from nearly every maker- and most made from entirely estate grown, New Mexico grapes.
We tasted quite a few Cabernets (is it 'swish, swallow' or 'swish, spit'? I don't know how you really are supposed to taste wine.) but my dad and I gave 3 stars to a Tempranillo from Casa Abril Vineyard in Algodones, NM.   I'm so impressed with the dedication of all these producers. 

















Several regional food products where on display as well including booths from NM Pecan Company. (Did you know NM out produced Georgia in Pecans this year?  Represent!)

Yummy, freshly shelled pecans from NM Pecan Co



Locally produced goat cheese, Lavender, fresh fruit and Garlic were also available to purchase.
I would have liked to see more regionally grown, prepared food to purchase for lunch- my only complaint- but hey- this isn't a review- is it?

Coon Ridge produces fantastic cheese made from the milk of open-range grazed goats.


All said- the sun was shining, there was no work on a Monday, people were sipping and swishing their wine samples and spitting on the lawn.  Women in big hats, men in stylish loafers- what's not to like?! 
New Mexico is getting so sophisticated!

No comments:

Post a Comment