Monday, November 8, 2010

What to do with a Gallon of Milk?

What to do with a Gallon of Milk?
Rasband Dairy no rBGH Milk that is... 
a local, traceable source for pure white, mana of the Cow Gods- Alleluja!
But once again I ask- what to do with a Gallon of Milk?
  Because I have to admit - I am not the biggest milk drinker around.  I would sooner reach for a nice pint of dark ale before I say 'Oh goodie! A nice, ice-cold glass of milk!' 
Which probably contributed to my recent diagnosis of osteoporosis- (True That!)
And at a (relatively -in my mind!) young age.  Not a Good Thing. 
So I am committed to learning to enjoy more dairy products.  
Did anyone say ice cream? 
Whole milk yogurt? Cream cheese on my bagel? Yes! Now we're talking! Sweet cream, Irish butter?
 A nicely aged french-cheese?!  Would it be too much to ask?
All of the above of course start with Milk.
And we in the Albuquerque are lucky enough to have a wonderful source for milk.
-and the only one I know of in NM that is all
local, no preservatives, no rBGH milk.  
Let me introduce you toRasband dairy in Albuquerque's south valley. 'From the Moo... to You!'
(no website but you can find their milk at La Montanita Coop, Joe's Pharmacy and other locations and at their dairy store at 7116 Isleta Boulevard Southwest Albuquerque, NM 87105 (505) 873-2171) 

They are a family owned business for 55 years and are transitioning to being an organic farm.  They
care about their cows and their land PLUS they make a really great tasting milk.  Even for a transitioning
milk fan like myself!
Sara at Rasband.  You just drive up and she comes out to your car! 


I was telling Sara at the dairy how I started making yogurt out of their whole milk.  (You can make it out of low fat milk but as my girlfriend said - WHY would you?!  The whole milk yogurt is soooo tasty.)
I know- it feels like kind of a hippy thing to do - make your own yogurt- but why not when it tastes so good, is so good for you (go calcium!), you can do it with a local product, you can make it for a fraction of the cost of store bought, there is no extra packaging, additives or preservatives AND you can create a vehicle for your homemade granola and raspberry sauce?
Need I say more?
So here is a link to the yogurt recipe I use. 
 And after a few trial and error variations this seems to be a tried and true version.
My only variations are that I don't use a double boiler because I have a nice, heavy, cast iron, enameled pan I use and I keep the yogurt warm under the heat lamp on my stove rather than using a heating pad.

Yogurt under heat lamp - stays there overnight while you're in bed dreaming...


Finished yogurt ready to go into jars.






















Give it a whirl.  It is beyond EASY!  
Now that that is done you can strain your yogurt through a cheese cloth and come up with some super delicious (and mild tasting) cream cheese.   
I have also used Rasband Dairy cream to make our own sour cream. (Check out this recipe.)
I'd also like to try to make cottage cheese, mozzarella, creme fraiche and marzcapone.... But in the meantime....I have some ice cream calling my name!

Pumpkin soup with pancetta, sage and yes!  Yogurt!













No comments:

Post a Comment